It is almost that time again. Back to School. Whether your child is going back to school physically or doing virtual school at home, getting them refocused and on a regimented schedule can be a challenge.
Here are some tips to help:
- Start slowly and make gradual changes. For example, if you kids usually stay up much later during the summer, than when in school, start giving them bed times 30 minutes earlier every few days.
- Get your kids up at a set time each day. Similar to what was mentioned above, ease into a normal Fall/Spring schedule.
- A lot of parents forget, but getting used to a regular eating schedule can also be important when adjusting. Kids most likely are used to grazing and eating snacks at their schedule. Eating healthy and at the proper intervals is important to keep their energy up which leads to better focus.
- Find some school work for them to do and get a refresher. This is probably the least favorite of them all, but is important otherwise the first few weeks your kids might struggle and have challenges with staying on task and problem solving.
- Teach them how to handle stress and what they can do to relieve it. Whether it is taking a few breaths or taking short breaks to refocus. The more proactive you are, the better prepared they will be.
We know every school year has its challenges, some more so than others. Preparing several weeks in advance will pay off and make the year start out with a bang!