Most adults are suffering from this and do not even know it? Why are you not aware? Like most physical problems, you do not realize there is a problem until the pain begins.
WHAT IS PIRIFORMIS SYNDROME? To put it in the simplest of terms, it is having very tight hip flexor muscles. This muscle runs diagonally from the lower spine to the upper surface of the femur, with the sciatic nerve running underneath or through the muscle.
Tight hip flexors (piriformis muscles) are mostly a result of sitting in the same position for long periods of time, sitting on bad chairs or on your wallet. It can be caused from long distance walking or running too. Overuse or compression are the main culprits causing Piriformis Syndrome.
Sciatica issues can also result from tight piriformis muscles too. Before you think “I will just get a new chair and make sure I am not sitting on my wallet” for a cure, or just take some Motrin and lower my intensity for a few weeks, there is more to it than that.
WHAT IS THE SOLUTION? Stretching and fitness activities that help stretch these muscles.
Statistically, most people do not stretch for various reasons:
- They do not know what stretches to use
- Stretching is boring and usually shows a slow progression of results
- You really need to stretch after a workout when your muscles are warm making it inconvenient
- It often takes a lot to motivate people on their own
Here are some recommendations for you to prevent Piriformis Syndrome:
- Find activities that improve your flexibility
- Take short breaks when sitting for more than 45 minutes at a time, taking a short walk around the office can make a big difference
- Learn stretches you can perform easily, some even from your chair
- Yoga is a possibility
- Swimming using different strokes
- Martial Arts is a great solution because you get a great workout, improve flexibility and learn self-defense skills
If you are not experiencing pain or stiffness currently, it does not mean you do not suffer from tight hip flexors. We recommend looking on the internet for flexibility evaluations. Although most people do not take prevention seriously, you do not want to go through sciatica pain, so it is definitely worth it.
If you are interested in martial arts, we are offering adults a FREE month of training in January. No strings, just a chance to come try something new, get in great shape and improve your flexibility.
To take advantage of the FREE month, go to https://tallytkd.com/registration/ and write “free month” in note section.